Thursday, April 22, 2010

Success on the second attempt

We returned to the catacombs, to the place from which we had been forced to retreat the day prior, this time determined to be victorious. This time we were better prepared, with the potions we had bought from Derrick's shop and a new set of magic items surreptitiously provided to us by Agathor and Balthazar of the Silver Flame. Those two agreed to come with us as well, to reinforce our ranks, and this time we were ready; as soon as we entered, Elaira bolstered my defenses and I drew upon the power of winter.

Our foes again put forth a good showing, but this time they would not drive us back. The wight summoned some archer skeletons and we also found ourselves fighting a runespiral demon, two wererats, and two evistros, as well as the bone shard skeleton and some of the blazing skeletons from last time. Not only did I find myself immobilized for part of the battle, but I had the most difficult time making my hits connect as I thought they should. Fortunately the others were up to the task, and I was still useful tactically speaking. Perhaps I was somewhat unrattled by the wight's horrific visage, or perhaps I lost my resolve somewhat when I found myself struggling to stay in the fray after taking a bunch of hits. Either way, I think the turning point in this battle for me was when Elaira encouraged me to attack one of the guys and I heard my flail connect with a resounding "whack." One last thing worth mentioning: a gnome appeared during the battle and shot some pot-shots at us before running away before we could stop him. After this we went deeper into the temple to try to rescue Adronsias.

No comments:

Post a Comment